Saturday, June 26, 2010

Old World Roses Quilt

Well I think I might fess up to another UFO here. To celebrate my love of Old World Roses I made this quilt about 3 years ago - almost finished apart from more hand stitching and more machine quilting. It consists of a number of random large sized pieces of crazy patchwork using materials of dupion silk, brocades, printed chiffon and embroidered satin, maroon lace pieces, crushed velvets, and the roses were cut from soft shades of furnishing fabric. It is very rich but, at the same time, has a softness about it.

Well not much more to say apart from - Well I must get on with it so that I can say "It's finished" - those words which we love. It will happen slowly whilst I am continuing with my current project.

Hope your day is fruitful and kind to you!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Lovely, rich and wonderful textures. Will enjoy seeing this in its final form. looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since looking at your work, I have started using brighter colors in my newer pieces. Color can really make a piece. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can hardly wait to see where this goes..... Colours are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy, Judith and Lorraine - thanks to you all for your lovely comments. Yes the colours are really gorgeous I have to say. Judith it is so great using brighter colours - am really looking forward to some newer pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Barbara here from brushes and cloth ... I absolutely love this post and your work ... it is very rich in colour, texture, and depth.
    There is so much to look at ...
    Thank you for sharing,
    Very best wishes,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to meet you Barbara and thank you for your kind comments. I am really happy to share here my work and ideas with you. I am merging my crazy machine quilting ideas with more slow stitching these days and loving it.
    All the best in stitching.
    xSuzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thank you so much for stopping by my site and for your very kind comments. The more I read and look at your work ... the more I see. It so very rich in colour and I do love the craziness! It is one of my favorite forms of quilting but mine never seem so rich ... it seems no matter how I try to liven things up ~ I can't seem to work in anything but the softer, muted colours. I would have never thought I liked pink so much. You asked what threads I used for my kantha stitches ~ my favorite threads are the sulkys either varigated cottons or the silk finishes. For hand stitching I like a 12 wt.
    Very best wishes,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look forward to seeing the whole quilt - such a rich surface and palette.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping here to say hello and to see what I have been creating. I really treasure each and everyone of you for your comments. It is so appreciated....Suzy

Related Posts with Thumbnails