Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Doily and Lace Quilt Now Completed

This is a project which I have been working on now 
for quite some time in between many other
smaller artworks
and
I am so happy to say that it is now completed
and it has been posted this morning to
the United States to a lovely
woman who has commissioned artwork from me previously.



 You know I didn't even measure this one but I think it is
approx. 56 square inches.



Here you can see it folded showing the most beautiful hand crocheted edging. I used this linen tablecloth as the base
for my doilies. The next layer consists of a wool blend
batting and for the final layer I used a sweet
embroidered tablecloth with pink flowers
and green leaves.








 Once I arrived at a pleasing arrangement and placement 
of these doilies
(even this step of auditioning doilies in their different shapes and sizes keeps me lost it seems for hours with decisions!)
I then set about pinning them in place ready for
machine quilting. 



 So it's layer upon layer of machine stitching





 These images convey the depth and softness of the layers.








 and then having completed this stage I look to see
where I need to place some smaller lace appliques
which tie it altogether
and these maybe machine stitched or hand stitched in place.


 Now taking my silver dish of mop buttons


 I begin to sew through all the layers to anchor the quilt together.

It is a slow and meditative process which I really enjoy
and I'm always pleased when I reach the end to
see the final result but I know it will be
appreciated for it is just incredible to think about the history
in each separate doily, where it came from and for
the hand made ones -
 the hours it took to create them.


 The completed quilt!!!!!
So that's it for another day!
I'm linking this post to What's It wednesday at
Ivy and Elephants Blog so go and pay a visit there.
 
Thanks for coming to visit. I love reading your comments
and visiting your blogs too.

xox Suzy


26 comments:

  1. What a stunning beauty! This is a true heirloom quilt, my goodness, it is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply beautiful! You have an amazing eye for detail and it shows in all of your work.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and creative. I am going to start collecting doilies, and maybe -- just maybe I can do something like this someday. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, this is beautiful. Your work continues to inspire. Thank you for sharing. I love it.

    Blessings, Marrianna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Wow, and Wow again! The quilt is amazing. Your work is stunning and so inspirational. Thank you for sharing it with us. I will definitely be picking up my needle this afternoon. (And yet another Wow!) Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful Suzy! It is quite stunning and elegant, as is your amazing stitching. What kind of machine are you using? The meandering stitches look so perfectly spaced. I love getting your blog post in my email in the mornings. A very pleasant way to start the day... not to mention inspiring! Sweet hugs to you, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, Suzy. Lucky recipient ...

    SuZeQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing artist, my dearest Suzy,- what a stunning work, and beauty.
    So many desitions, layers, and so much wonderful quilting, -it looks just gorgeous, sweet friend. Your costumer, will spend hours ,only touching and looking when it arrives to her door.
    Like Liz said, yes it is a heirloom quilt to be treasureed for many many years to come.
    Love and hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Suzy! That has to be the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen! Spectacular work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning work...the quilt is so Beautiful...Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooooh (happy sigh!)....this is ever so incredible Suzy and I know, beyond any doubt, that the recipient is going to be counting the days until it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredible quilt this is Suzy - I am always in awe when I visit here and see what you have been doing. Not only do you have a veritable treasure trove of lace and cloth, you work magic with it that is so wonderful to see.
    Another stunning creation from your hands...
    Thank you for sharing these gorgeous pictures,
    jillayne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello dear Suzy
    A wonderful quilt of laces! I dream of something like this on my bed.....but I don't think it would be thing to put with my dogs on it!!!!!!!!! LOL
    Hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful project made with love and joy. Thanks for sharing
    Lots of blessings from South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just amazing! I would start collecting dollies but I could never pull that off. Beautiful creation as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out beautifully Suzy! What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so stunning! I don't know how you could part with it. You have a great creative muse. I love how all of the doilies seem to just belong together on this quilt. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A big WOW Suzy this is so wonderfully made and with so many wonderful crochet doilies and lovely old embroideries, this is a treasure to enjoy.
    Hugs Anni

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness dear Suzy, a most stunning masterpiece! So much work you must have put in it. And oh those yummy laces everywhere. And the quilting. So gorgeous. Happy customer indeed to receive so much beauty. Wishing you a wonderful day and sending you big hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Truly beautiful Suzy! How talented you are to put something together like this, with all that dimension and not lose sight of it!! Which is something I'm sure I'd do...lose sight of everything as I'm going! lol.
    Love all the different shades mixed in together. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh My Lace Heavens. This is a Masterpiece in laces and doilies. Such a delightful labor of love you have given to create this heirloom work of art Suzy Dear. I am truly smitten with your ability to layer so many bits and pieces of lace and doilies. Creative Lace Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzy it is AMAZING!!! Only you could pull of such a feat. Sooo beautiful!
    Your vision is amazing!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  23. Truly a work of heART! Just lovely.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping here to say hello and to see what I have been creating. I really treasure each and everyone of you for your comments. It is so appreciated....Suzy

Related Posts with Thumbnails